Friday, July 31, 2009

Life is like a New Softball Bat...

Photobucket
The other day, while at the batting cages, I had one of those "life-is-a-lot-like-softball moments."

I grew up playing baseball, but as an old man, I've been relegated to softball. For the most part, the two games are quite similar--but there are a few differences.

Most notably, the bats.

Bigger ball, wider bat right? Not so. Baseball bats are short, with a barrel that widens toward the end. Softball bats on the other hand are long and skinny, designed to connect (ideally) the sweet part of the bat with the sweet part of the ball. Got it? Good.

Metal bats are made out of aluminum, a soft metal. In softball even more than in baseball, this means that the bat has to be broken in. Yep, that's right, the more you hit with it, the more effective it becomes.

A lot like us humans, actually.

Just like you, throughout my life, I've had some pretty rocky moments. But those breakups, losses and trials have refined me as a person and helped increase the effectiveness of my witness. They've given me perspective.

If pain doesn't come today, it'll be here tomorrow. Hardships are just a part of this sinful world. But don't put yourself away. Just like a well-worn bat, the more you experience and endure, the more home runs you're going to hit.

1 comment:

Big Rich said...

You saying that you are old makes me mad. Good post